Shell Houston Non-Profit Internship
This two-month, full-time, paid internship provides one intern with the opportunity to:
- Teach creative writing to K-12 students at our summer Creative Writing Camp
- Serve as program coordinator for our Summer Institutes on Reading, Writing and Cultural Conversations
- Review research that can refine our “theory into practice” approach of working with early literacy teacher leaders. Some of the fields we delve into include child development, neuroscience, literacy theory and the relevance of culture to learning
Teaching Assistant Internship
School Literacy and Culture and Writers in the Schools (WITS) are looking for interns to serve as summer workshop teaching assistants. Interns work in a variety of areas, gaining experience in creative writing instruction, early childhood education, non-profit administration, and/or arts education. Each summer, School Literacy and Culture and Writers in the Schools sponsor the Creative Writing Camp. More than 1300 children in grades K-12 participate in the workshops, which provide a supportive environment where children engage in writing stories, poetry, essays, and plays. Applicants must be enrolled in a college or university and be 18 years of age or older.
- Assist in creative writing classrooms
- Design and deliver lessons
- Assist younger children with dictation
- Assist setting up arts/crafts projects
- Assist in anthology preparation
- Observe classroom teaching
The two-week internships (part-time, unpaid) takes place June, 2017. Orientation takes place Saturday, May 28. Campus-based training is also required.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.